Thursday, February 7, 2008

Film Review: The Hammer (Victoria Film Festival)

So it is that time of year in Victoria. Film Festival time! Let me begin by saying how extraordinarily glad I am that it is not my movie theatre that is hosting the festival as I hate dealing with a ton of customers and an empty theatre is the best kind of theatre (in my books at least).

The Hammer is a comedy written by, starring, and co-produced by Adam Carolla of Loveline/Man Show/etc. fame. I can sum up the review of this movie in one line:

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT AND EXTREMELY HILARIOUS!

This movie was everything amazing about Carolla's comedy transported from the radio to the big screen and it moves over flawlessly. Possibly more exciting than seeing this movie during the film festival was the presence of Adam Carolla himself, in the flesh, in our little west coast capitol. The post film Q&A session proved as funny as any Loveline call and I felt honoured to be a part of it. The biggest downer though was the small audience. Despite being an opening night movie the turn out was pretty low. I blame this more on a lack of advertisement by the festival than Carolla's cult following.

The Hammer follows the life of retired amateur boxer Jerry Ferro (Adam Carolla) as he turns 40-years-old, loses his girlfriend and job, and returns to the world of boxing. I know what you're thinking, Stallone did the boxing movie thing already. The difference is the absolute comic genius in Carolla's script. He takes what is pretty much a tired story line (underdog rises to victory) and makes it one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It is full of the rants and raves that made Carolla a favourite on talk radio. Ranging from verbal berating of Los Angeles' pride in its tar pits to disgust at taking the blame (and ticket) for a friend who was driving 37mph on a highway. The plot may be a bit corny and cliched at times, but the excellent comedy overshadows any flaws.

I can only hope The Hammer does well enough on its independent circuit to eventually reach a wider audience. Once again, Adam Carolla has brought me to tears of laughter and I eagerly await his next project which I am sure will be a hit as well.

No comments: